Thursday, February 15, 2007

Love stinks, so let's listen to some tunes

So yesterday, I posted my Valentine's Day List of Favourite Valentine's Songs when I was in the mood for all things lovely. But today I'm feeling like my regular, cynical self and, to celebrate, I want to post all of my favourite anti-Valentine's Day songs. Remove all of yesterday's valentine's from your line of sight and we'll begin:

1. The Dears - 22: The Death Of All Romance
I first discovered this song when I saw the video for it on Muchmusic's The Wedge. Needless to say, I was depressed for the rest of the week. But I gotta say, the Dears pull off melancholy lyrics and depressing crooning well.

2. Dinah Washington (Verve remix) - Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby
This isn't in any way a depressing song, in fact it's quite lively. But Dinah tells off her flakey boyfriend in such a way that suggests that she's had it with love. You'll feel the same way, while you're shaking your rump to the music.

3. Tom Waits - Alice
Mr. Waits is lovestruck by a certain Alice, who seems to have broken his heart. His low caroling rumble, and the wailing sax melt into your skin and make you, aswell, 'fall through the ice of Alice'. One of the saddest songs I've ever heard.

4. Elliot Smith - Cupid's Trick
Elliot Smith admits to having been on all kinds of drugs when he wrote this song, and doesn't remember what he was thinking but with lyrics like "Cupid's trick comes/Down to shake and deal/The stupid kick that makes me real", the message isn't that mysterious.

5. Feist - Lonely Lonely
Although it has painstakingly beautiful lyrics ("Paper, paper obsolete/how will you reach out to me?"), and a hopeful tone, the song is called 'Lonely Lonely'. Oh, Missus Feist, why you gotta sing so blue?

6. The Fugees - Killing Me Softly
I know this song is a cover, and Wyclef's out of place "Yo's" do take away from the downcast tone, but I don't have the original so this'll have to do. But props to whoever did write it because the lyrics are beautiful, and absolutely suicidal. And that Lauryn Hill! Lady sing the blues so well.

7. Gogol Bordello - Bordello Kind Of Guy
This isn't exactly anti-Valentine's Day material because it says nothing to do with love, or lack thereof. But listen to it, and you'll see how it is pretty much the opposite to everything Valentine's Day. St. Patricks Day? Maybe.

8. Reel Big Fish - Kiss Me Deadly
Bad ska covers make bad love sounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home