Sunday, March 18, 2007

Dawn Tyler Watson @ London Music Club



This afternoon at the London Music Club, I enjoyed the musical stylings of London-raised, Montreal-dwelling Dawn Tyler Watson, a fantastic jazz singer. I saw her last February in Montreal at this jazz bar called Upstairs with a three piece jazz outfit and she was really fantastic. Little did I know then that she a) was from my hometown or b) also sang folk, motown, blues, and rock with an acoustic guitar accompaniment, which today's show was. Frankly, I enjoyed her more as a jazz singer as her voice really shines scatting over the popular jazz songs she sang back in February such as "Ain't I Good To You" and "Route 66", but her powerhouse vocals did do a number over that acoustic guitar also so I can't complain. She played to a very receptive audience (filled with family and friends of hers) and was particularly interactive. I even won a free copy of their EP, and had a little chat with Dawn after the show. Overall I would say it was a good show, and definitley worth hauling your ass off the couch on a Sunday afternoon for.
Next week at the London Music Club is one of my personal favourite female folk singer/songwriter Jill Barber playing a set with her brother Matthew Barber, so I'm definitley looking forward to that. Unfortunately I cannot see the Great Lake Swimmers (maybe with Basia Bulat) that night because I'll be on a bus heading back to school. Once again, I hate boarding school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home